Choose the Right Type of Forklift: Electric vs. Diesel vs. LPG
Forklifts are available in various models, such as LPG, Diesel and Electric. It is important to choose a forklift that matches your business needs and boosts productivity and efficiency in your organization. A wrong or inappropriate forklift will spell disaster for your business. So, you need to make sure that you choose your options wisely. Let us discuss the pros and cons of each type of forklift to understand which one would suit you the best.
1) LPG Forklifts:
- Cost: The biggest USP of an LPG forklift is its price. The upfront cost is the lowest of the lot, which makes it suitable for new businesses and startups.
- Power: LPG forklifts are more powerful than electric forklifts. They can perform better operations with minimal Linde forklift repairs and can work for extended periods in comparison to electric forklifts.
- Fuel: It is relatively easy to refuel the LPG forklift. Simply switch the cylinders and the machine is ready to roll again. One LPG cylinder usually lasts for six hours, making this forklift a highly reliable choice.
- Fit for indoor use: LPG forklifts are best suited for indoor use as they do not emit any pollutants. They can be used indoors, provided they pass the regulatory standards.
- Performance: LPG forklifts cannot match up to the performance levels of diesel forklifts, especially when the job demands high torque consistently.
- Price: Though they come with a cheap upfront cost, the expenses for forklift maintenance, servicing, and fuel grow over time. Plus, the rise in gas prices will affect the pricing of refueling the forklifts.
- Availability of fuel: In certain areas, LPG cylinders are not readily available. This can stall operations due to the non-availability of fuel. You will need careful planning to make sure there is always adequate fuel supply.
- Health risks: LPG cylinders are susceptible to leakages, which can cause various health problems for the operator and the employees. So, make sure you are up to date with the safety protocols about LPG cylinders.
- Limited rear visibility: The placement of the cylinders restricts the rear visibility in these forklifts. This can increase the risk of injury or accidents when the forklift is used in reverse.
2) Electric Forklifts:
- Safety: The most significant feature in electric forklift is the automatic braking mechanism. The brakes kick in; the moment the operator takes their foot off the pedal. Also, electric forklift repairs are minimal.
- Zero emissions: As the name suggests, these forklifts run on electricity or batteries, which give out no emissions at all. This makes them ideal for indoor use.
- Fuel cost: There is practically no cost in fuelling this forklift. What you will pay for is the electricity used, which is nominal compared to higher diesel and LPG rates.
- Maintenance: Electric forklift needs the lowest maintenance among all. Electric forklift repairs are the cheapest of the lot, since there is no engine, and hence, no transmission and no radiator.
- Indoor use: With warehouses needing forklifts for their operations, electric forklifts are perfect for indoor use and find many takers in the business.
- Price: They come with an expensive upfront cost. However, they work out cheaper in the long term. It is the initial cost that deters many buyers.
- Battery/Charging: Probably the biggest disadvantage is its charging time. The battery takes approximately 8 hours to charge completely. If you forget to charge it overnight, then the next day, the forklift will be unusable.
- Power: Electric forklifts are less powerful than LPG and diesel forklifts. They cannot deliver high torque consistently required to lift heavier loads.
3) Diesel Forklifts:
- Consistent power: Diesel forklifts are all about raw power and brute force. They can lift the heaviest of loads, and can easily outperform the other two models.
- Low initial price: Diesel forklifts cost less than electric forklifts, and are, thus, affordable.
- Expensive forklift maintenance: Though they are affordable, the maintenance of a diesel forklift is quite expensive.
- Carbon emissions: Diesel forklifts give out a lot of harmful gases during operations, thus, leading to pollution.
Based on the points listed above, identify your requirements, and then make an informed choice to buy the right kind of forklift that suits your business.